My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Friday, August 12, 2005

I don't know if my doctor does it with all his patients, or just me because I usually have a newspaper with me, but he always ends up talking about politics with me.

Yesterday he had an interesting observation:
The only difference between Republicans and Democrats is that one trusts Big Business more than government, and the other trusts government more than Big Business.
We really REALLY like our doctor. He is about my age. Has three kids. Very religious. Just a good guy. We feel fortunate to have him.

We felt the same way about our first doctor back in Columbus. We went to him for several years, and then he sold his practice to a doctor that was OK, but we just didn't connect with.

When we moved to Chicago we found a doctor that was a really hot exotic Indian women (could have been a model) but had no "bedside" manner. Seemed aloof and like she was doing us a favor by being there.

I switched to another guy in the same practice. He was an older guy from the Philippines. I found him difficult to understand and therefore communication was difficult. Not good when it involves the person responsible for helping you stay healthy. The final straw was when he took me off a cholesterol med because he was concerned about the numbers coming back from a routine liver test. Did he switch me to a more benign med? No. He have me a poorly photocopied article about a low fat diet and sent me on my way!

The next doctor was our current one. He called me after he saw the results from the first blood test he ordered and said if I cut myself I would probably bleed canola oil. I think my cholesterol level was over 400!

For the past seven years(?) the routine has been a doctor visit every three months. Yesterday he said my numbers have been so stable he only wants to see me every four months now. I am hoping if I can lose another ten pounds we can start to reduce or even drop some meds. I have been at about 228 pounds for the last few weeks. I think I have not been dropping lately because it has been so warm and I have not been on my bike in a while.

No comments: