My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Sunday, December 15, 2002

We just got back from PetSmart and we got the Gentle Leader Training Collar by Premier Pet. The only reason I got this one was that it had fitting guidelines by dog's weight, where as the other one had fitting guidelines by breed, and I wasn't sure were Goliath's pedigree fit into their chart.

I couldn't find his old metal pinch collar with the spikes pointing inward before we left, so he was a handfull in the store. I put the new training collar on in the store (which was also a handful). As the instructions said he would, there was ten minutes of fighting, resistance, and trying to scrape it off. Once he realized that the more he did that the more uncomfortable it was, he was perfect. Much better than the pinch collar. Amazing even. I new from looking at the design it would work but I didn't think how dramatic it would be. I can control him just by holding the leash between my thumb and forefinger! That is why halters are used on horses - it takes very little strength to control a large animal by their head rather than their very stong neck.

I took him over to the park across the street were two boys were flying a remote control plane. He wanted to lunge and go nuts, but when he did that it made his head turn back and look at me! It took him a minute and then he realized he would have more fun if he just settled down.

Get one (Dauber and Bear)! You won't be sorry. I had a big stupid grin on my face on the way back from the park because he was a totally different dog. He just trotted along at my left side with actual slack in the leash. He knew that the proper place was right by my side, and any direction I went must be the direction he wants to go. Amazing.

No comments: