My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Wednesday, November 26, 2003

For a project in on of my classes I have to propose 10 sites for new Walgreens stores. This map is what I have so far. It is my rough cut using only a couple of criteria.

A new store can not be within one mile of an existing Walgreens store. The heavy black rings represent the one mile buffer around these stores.

The stores also have to be on intersections that have traffic counts greater than xxxx per day. (I shouldn't say what the number is.) The large question marks are these intersections.

The small red triangles are competing drug stores. Proximity to them is not a deal breaker, but they get factored in at a later stage of my analysis.

Once I have all of my rough cuts, I analyze the Census block groups within one mile of each candidate for population, income, and a statistic that Walgreens calculates per block group called prescription potential. This is how many prescriptions they think an entire block group would need to be filled on an average day. I probably shouldn't say what their threshold number is.

The GIS guy from Walgreens came in and gave us a presentation and the data to work on this project.

No comments: