My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Friday, November 28, 2003

When I was growing up the sailing club we belonged to, the Jolly Roger Sailing Club, had these small plastic sailboats for sailing lessons. Members were free to use them whenever they wanted. They were called 320's and made by a French company. I think the name was from how long they were; 320 centimeters is equal to 3.2 meters, which is roughly 10.5 feet, which seems about right.

When we would go out to the club on the weekends, but not take our boat out, a lot of times I would launch a 320 and just sail up and down the Ottawa River. I had almost a mile of river to sail up and down on and still be in sight of our club. The narrowest part of the area I sailed on was about 300 yards across. At the widest it was about ¼ of a mile across.

If I got hot I would just tip the boat over in the middle of the river and swim for a bit. I made a friend at the club one summer named Bob. Sometimes we would both take a boat out and just goof around. Sometimes playing bumper-boats.

One time I was out there so long, probably five or six hours, that I got sick. I don't think it was motion sickness because I didn't get sick until I was done for the day and was putting my boat away. I think I was dehydrated or maybe had some sun sickness. Those were fun days.

Looking back, at the time I took that for granted; like everyone grows up sailing boats. But now I realize I was lucky to be able to do that.

No comments: