My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Our oscar loves this fish food we got called Cichlid Gold. The brand name is Hikari and is made in Japan by a company called Kyorin Food Industries, Ltd. The plecostomus loves it too. How do I know? Because the plecostomus is a bottom feeder, but when I put these floating pellets in, it swims to the top and eats them from the surface! I don't get it. The ingredient list has more plant product than seafood:

white fish meal
wheat flour
wheat-germ meal
brewers yeast
soybean meal
shrimp meal
alfalfa meal

The rest of the ingredients are vitamins and minerals.

I thought he would like these other pellets I bought called Omega One and are made in Alaska. They have no cereal fillers, just all kinds of fish, algae, kelp, and vitamins and minerals. He almost won't touch them. Weird. These are the first six ingredients:

whole salmon
whole herring
halibut
krill
shrimp
octopus


Heck, it sounds good enough for me to eat, but he totally ignores them.

He will eat these cheap shrimp pellets made by Wardley, a division of Hartz. I bought them a long time ago when we had a couple of frogs. They sink, so I have to drop them so they pass directly in front of him and within about three inches of his face. If they hit the bottom he won't eat them. He will go after these about 70% of the time. These are the first nine ingredients listed:

shrimp meal
wheat flour
fish protein concentrate
meat meal

soy flour
corn gluten meal
dried beet pulp
poultry meal
dried brewers yeast

No comments: