My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Sunday, November 23, 2003

On the way to find were my interview will be on Tuesday we passed Geneva Commons. Sheri and Greta stumbled on this shopping center a while back and thought it was a neat little area. They had a lot of neat little restaurants we had not heard of before, so we decided we would go there for lunch once we found my interview place.

We decided an a place called Red Star Tavern. Gorgeous interior. Very high ceilings. Dark lighting. Dark wood. Hard wood floors. Stone walls. Dark wood wide-slat blinds. Almost like a casual Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.

Menu looked great. Lots of good interesting combinations. They had a lot of neat sounding chicken themed dishes that sounded good, so I figured maybe they had a special rotisserie in the kitchen and went through a lot of fresh chickens. The prices on the menu led me to believe that something like that wouldn't be out of the question.

I went with their "slow cooked pulled chicken sandwich". The little description made it sound very good.

The waiter brought me my iced tea. Instant! Blech! I called him back over and had him bring me a Diet Coke instead. He also confirmed that it was a mix. (They wouldn't serve Folgers Crystals instant coffee, so why do some restaurants try to pass off instant iced tea?)

Instant tea in a restaurant is always a tip off to bad food. If they can't get something simple like their iced tea right, why would I expect them to be able to do anything more complex right?

My sandwich came and it was the barbecued chicken you can buy frozen at the grocery store in a tub. They might have added a very little bit of cinnamon for the Caribbean jerk flavor. Blech! The sliced onion and tomato that came with it had been sliced several hours previously. The little cup of coleslaw was very good, and the fries were excellent.

Sheri got their teriyaki chicken sandwich. It was a grilled chicken breast on a bun with a grilled red sweet pepper on top. The teriyaki part came from a little cup of sauce on the side. The sauce was very good, but I think it was just soy sauce and sesame oil. (I love sesame oil!) Her's also came with the coleslaw and fries.

For ten dollars a plate I expected a lot more than instant iced tea and microwaved barbeque chicken.

No comments: